What is Ergonomics?
Ergonomics is the study of designing equipment and devices that fit the human body and its movements. Frequently people suffer injury because the Ergonomics of their work station or recreation environment do not suit their body, and in some cases actually can cause injury such as Repetitive Strain Injury.
In our assessments we take into account your occupation, recreation and lifestyle as these will often offer clues as to what is the cause of your pain.
Where it appears that something in your lifestyle is a contributing factor to your pain the therapist will discuss options to try and overcome the issue, and advice on minimizing the adverse effects of things that can not be changed.
What can be changed at a work station to reduce pain?
When a work station or environment is assessed recommendations may be made for a number of changes to basic equipment to reduce adverse loads and stresses on the body, for example:
- Desk height /neck, shoulder, elbow, wrist and hand position
- Chair type / hip, knee and foot position
- Computer / lap top position
- Keypad / mouse type and position
- Filing cabinets position and type
- Telephone type and usage
When sport or recreation is the activity which appears to aggravate the client’s symptoms we may choose to make changes to the sporting equipment, for example:
- Boot / Shoe type / Orthotic prescription
- Racket / hurl / golf club type. weight, length etc
- Grip / Stroke / Swing etc